When someone is bashing you is quite difficult to stay still and ask for clarification. But we have to admit that every criticism has some healthy grain. We have to accept some parts of us even if it’s hard to handle. Criticism is always associated in some disappointments about us. It’s important to recognize the fact that we ain’t that perfect! And we have some room to work with.
Here are some tips that can help you to get benefits from criticism:
- Master your emotions. You need to become the master of your face. It’s very important to keep your first emotion when someone is giving you the hard time. Most of us will feel strong anger and disagreement but if not react immediately our emotions will cool down. So we will have time to think on the right line and won’t be a regret of thrown words.
- Look from the perspective of the other side. Maybe he/she see something you don’t? Maybe there is the lack of understanding? Maybe the difference of expectations from each other? Before you start putting your line out loud think from the perspective of the other side.
- Don’t take it so personally!
- Think about the opportunity to improve yourself! Most of the time criticism is directed on the results of your work or activities. Even if you did something great, the moment of criticism will show you that there was a lack of understanding. Next time be more specific, ask a lot of questions and make sure that you know exactly what they want. Don’t be afraid to ask one more time. It’s OK. And the outcome is what is real matters.
- Take responsibility for your actions. If you did something wrong face it! No need to spend time on excuses and finding the real Mr. Guilty. If you are involved in something you are responsible for it! Make a lesson and think how you can improve yourself. “Never argue. In society nothing must be discussed; give only results.”
– Benjamin Disraeli
- Stay cool. We are all people and we are all having bad days. Take it with a little bit of understanding. If you see that complaints are a total fabrication, probably it’s just a bad day for that person! Stay cool and keep your ego off.
- Tomorrow will be a new day. Make sure you are not doing the same mistake twice. Your experience is precious, so don’t ignore it!
- Learn to appreciate criticism! It’s an experience and experience as we are all known is precious! Learn from until it’s FREE!